COMPLETED: upgraded Time Report
Since our update two months ago, we've completed the Time Report upgrade and removed the old Time Report code entirely. The old and new versions look quite similar in the UI, so what's the difference?
- Speed. The old Time Report was slower. This wasn't all that noticeable when running small reports, but it was obvious to users who wanted, for example, an entire year of data on a whole team of people. Larger reports would at times crash the app. Correcting this was our primary motivator for the upgrade. Thanks to its architecture, the new Time Report can easily handle very large reports, returning results in seconds.
- You need to click a button to run a report in the new Time Report. The old one would run automatically, which was annoying—it would run before you got all your parameters selected.
- Results are paginated in the new Time Report, with 10 records per page. This change was largely about improving speed, but pagination also provides a cleaner UI.
- Multi-select! The old Time Report allowed users to select all team members or just one, all projects or just one. The new Time Report allows users to select any number of team members and/or projects.
- The new Time Report returns Project Category totals in addition to the standard Project, time entry, and overall totals.
We have improvements to the new Time Report on our roadmap, e.g. an Expand/Collapse All option, but as for replacing the old Time Report with a faster, more efficient version—mission accomplished!
Please sign in to leave a comment.